Landing a job during COVID-19 hiring freezes: A success story.
In this episode, hear Benjamin’s success story. He landed a new job while many companies have frozen hiring or need to lay off workers. Learn how he did it and how you can apply these lessons for yourself.
Here are the major takeaways:
1. Your resume needs to be exceptional if you’re going to be applying online. Accomplishment oriented, well formatted, no mistakes, and key-word optimized.
2. Prioritize referrals where you can- those are the best odds.
3. Job postings from start ups and smaller companies are more likely to lead to a job offer than job postings from larger companies, because small companies don’t have budget to waste on a posting.
4. No matter the hiring climate, always negotiate. A reputable company will only offer you the job if they want you, so you still have power to negotiate.
This week’s questions:
1. What’s the value of acquiring certifications for my field and how does that differ if it’s an industry standard certification vs. a random online course? How do employers perceive cerfications, are they cost effective, and how necessary are they?
2. How can I tell if an initial job offer is the highest they can go?
FREE GIVEAWAY: leave us a review with your favorite takeaway and you’ll be entered to win a free resume & LinkedIn review from one of our professional resume writers.
Do you have questions you want me to answer in future episodes? Email them to [email protected]